- BA degree (Phi Beta Kappa) from Union College, Schenectady, N.Y. Union awarded Joel the Daggert Prize, which is given for character and integrity.
- Carnegie Foundation undergraduate Fellow, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL.
- Graduate studies in public law and government, Columbia University, N.Y. as a Noble Foundation and Woodrow Wilson Fellow.
- Certificate from Columbia University International Fellows Program.
- Diploma, The National War College, Washington, DC (Air Force Association Prize).
- College for Financial Planning, Denver, Colorado, CFP program.
- Certificate in Strategic Foresight, University of Houston
- Foreign Service officer, U.S. Department of State.
- Senior intelligence officer, Central Intelligence Agency.
- Professor of National Security Policy at The National War College, in Washington, D.C., the nation’s senior institute for professional military education.
Community and Industry Activities:
- Past Chairman and Director, Northwest Federal Credit Union (VA)
- Volunteer instructor in future studies, investments, and financial planning, Osher Lifelong Learning Center at George Mason University
- Former Public Member Arbitrator, National Association of Securities Dealers, Inc., the largest forum of dispute resolution for the U.S. securities industry
- Member, Association of Professional Futurists
- Member, Society for Risk Analysis
- Association of Former Intelligence Officers
- CIA Retirees Association
- National War College Alumni Association
Articles: Credit World; The Adviser’s Network. Quoted in or consulted by The Wall Street Journal;
The Washington Post; Worth; The Physician’s Personal Advisory; Bloomberg Personal Finance;
Bloomberg Wealth Manager; Smart Money; Business Week; Vantage; Friendly Exchange,
NAPFA Adviser; Financial Planning; Reuters TV, The Washington Times; Baltimore Sun:
Kiplinger’s Retirement Report; Morningstar; and other publications.